27 August 2010

Safe, Happy and Well.

At night I usually lay in bed running the events of the day through my head. I think about the things that have happened but also the "what ifs". Last night it was...What if, when Little Miss was standing at the top of the stairs, she took one more step and fell? Most nights in the past year have been filled with What if... what if... what if...

I don't recall having so many negative thoughts before becoming a Mum but now they are a regular occurance. Don't get me wrong, I have always been a worrier but it has never been ubiquitous.

Thankfully last night I was able to catch myself in one of these "worry fests" and talk myself around. Often it gets to the point where I can't sleep and need to have a cup of tea or read to shake myself out of it. Last night though, I found that I was able to self-talk myself into relaxing by constantly affirming that my family and I are SAFE, HAPPY and WELL. I repeated this mantra ("we are safe, happy and well") over and over until I fell asleep. I kept in my mind images of HOW we are safe, happy and well and was able to drift into a beautiful sleep.

This morning I was able to reflect on the thoughts of the night before and I realised that these three words encompass the things that I want for myself, my husband and my daughter. I don't care what we have or what we do as long as we are SAFE, HAPPY and WELL there is nothing more that I could wish for.

Safe, Happy and Well.

2 comments:

  1. I do exactly the same thing...Bryce is always telling me to stop worrying over something that DIDN'T happen.I guess its just a Mothers Worry...I might try your theory for myself, so I can drift off to sleep without grinding my teeth to nothing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, I'm familiar with the "what ifs", especially if I've had a close call. We, as Mums try so hard to keep our family safe, happy and well that sometimes it's hard to let go. But then we find that we are doing it already. Lovely post Mon.

    ReplyDelete